Home Forums Reviews Classifieds Gallery Chat Calendar Store Map Player Map Links
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting TM G3 SG/1 into G3A3? Possible?  (Read 1059 times)

TooBigToFit

• Major
    • View Profile
Converting TM G3 SG/1 into G3A3? Possible?
« on: November 07, 2006, 08:56:29 AM »

I'm a big G3A3 (and H&K in general) fan. Unfortunately, the G3A3 was discontinued by Marui, and the only place I can find it is at Boom Arms. However, I'd rather not buy overseas (at an expensive price of $300, not including shipping). I was wondering, since the G3 SG/1 is often described as a "sniperized" G3, would it be possible to convert it to a G3A3? If so, I have brainstormed 3 methods. Which would you choose?

1. Add OD stock, grip, and forearm from real steal. ($20 + gun)
I remembered the G3A3 to CETME project, and found a similar kit in OD. I heard it takes quite a few mods to get the forearm in, and that you can barely fit a battery into the stock...

2. Chop off cheek pad, and paint the grip, stock, and forearm OD ($5 of paint, $50 stock if needed)
Affordable, but I'm not sure how it would turn out. Unlike the original TM G3A3, this would replicate the version with a full forearm. Also, I don't know how easily the cheek pad will come off. Is it removable, or do you need to literally chop it off. A response from an SG/1 owner would be nice. If I have to chop it off, theres also the alternative route of buying a new G3 stock from eBay specifically designed for airsoft.

3. Use parts from G3A3 springer
Are they even compatible?

Thanks in advance.
KSC Mk23(Slide catch kill count: 2, real H&K part on the way): Guarder upgraded recoil/hammer springs, Shooter Design slide (Phase III)
Cyma MP5 Metal Version: Bone Stock.

heyou

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: Converting TM G3 SG/1 into G3A3? Possible?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 09:46:44 AM »

I'd buy one of those surplus G3 wood kits from ebay.  There is a guide to converting them to fit on arniesairsoft, and the result is stunning.  You'll need a dremel and some sandpaper though.  The guide even uses a SG/1 as it's base!

Now that is a nice looking gun!

Link to the guide on arnies:
http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/?filnavn=/projects/woodg3/woodg3.htm

And a kit on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Heckler-Koch-H-K-308-G3-Wood-Stock-Set_W0QQitemZ150054659732QQihZ005QQcategoryZ73951QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

TooBigToFit

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 10:17:55 AM »

Yeah, that's what I meant in my first post. I'm not exactly good with dremeling though, and this requires a lot of it. Actually, I never used a Dremel, I hope it's not too hard. This is a project I plan to do in a few months, because I need to save up $$$. Was planning on using this...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MGR281-1427-1821.html

I don't like the look of wood. I wonder though, if it's possible to Dremel the stock so that I can use a Large battery.
KSC Mk23(Slide catch kill count: 2, real H&K part on the way): Guarder upgraded recoil/hammer springs, Shooter Design slide (Phase III)
Cyma MP5 Metal Version: Bone Stock.

DRK

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 11:21:14 AM »

my tm g3a3. i too bought 3 sets of the real OD furniture for the G3, im having inferno mount it to a undercover project with another TM g3a3 i bought and sent to him. im sending those surplus parts to him to have them fitted. the recoil spring must be cut off and the stock will have to be cut to fit in a stick battery.

here is my modelo-C CETME. it was custom made and costed a pretty penny. but as i said before a large type battery could not fit in the cut wood so  a right size hole was cut for a 9.6 stick battery since my gun was upgraded. i do know that cheaper then dirt does sell in surplus the modelo-c CETME wood. the first g3a3 production guns did have word but then i dont know i think maybe there was some infrigement between H&K and CETME when H&K first opened their production guns. because the CETME was from the late 40's and H&K didnt produce the g3a3 till the late 50's so it was a copy in a way but they got around it with their box magazine design. though my gun is a copy of the modelo-c CETME, the magazine is incorrect. to own a true CETME in airsoft you must put on a woodkit on the c33E. because that curved magazine was the correct magazine for the modelo-c rifle, while H&K just went with early polymers and a large box magazine for the .308.

yes pretty much today if you want a G3A3 get an sg-1 and get the metal cocking tube and metal body with engraved markings and a non orange muzzle cage but as far as the polymer body you must custom cut it. also the grip is gonna be a pain because the gearbox has to fit in it. but also every one who builds a g3a3 off a sg-1 still will not be correct. it will be shorter in some places as the g3a3 was the longest rifle before the PSG-1

* also that kit up above doesnt look like the CETME kit, as the surplus ones from cheaper than dirt are well polished, i didnt have mine all shiny because who needs to reflect light, but it does look like but u can see the colors are off from the stock and foregrip.

HK Sniper

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 04:33:22 PM »

ok yes it can be done. i know redwolf had one, it was one of their customs, but they dicontinued it. i have the sg1 and bassically i'd either do what DRK said, or what arnies said. its not going to be easy, and it going to require time and patience. oh and money. i'm pretty sure the cheek pad is removable though, and it really sucks IMO anyway. if you want a nice one try to find a nice leather one. my friend had one for his svd and it was extremly comfterable to snipe with. to bad the gun sucked.
TM G3-SG1/MSG-90 - DMR, Soc. 16 - Riflemen, TM AK - high speed,

Anti-CA Club - Co-Founder

I think your "smart" charger needs to go back to school. -- Sparky D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 27 queries.