Home Forums Reviews Classifieds Gallery Chat Calendar Store Map Player Map Links
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom AEG Bullpup Rifle  (Read 2261 times)

shifty050

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Custom AEG Bullpup Rifle
« on: September 20, 2010, 07:08:42 PM »

After reading about technicc's custom CO2 rifle project (which seems to be going down the path of a G11), I found myself dreaming up ideas on a similar project using an AEG platform as a base. My knowledge of AEG's is fairly limited and I do not have enough experience working with their internal components to feel confident enough to start a scratch build. So at this point, my ideas have barely even left my brain and made it into this topic.

Right now, I'm thinking up a bullpup rifle, something like the G11 in size, but more akin to the WA2000 in that I'd like it to load from the bottom, maybe with a 20 round m4 mag or something to that effect. As far as gearboxes go, I can see only a V1 or a V6 fitting the bill since both are compact (vertically speaking) and used in bullpup AEG's. I could just get a FAMAS but I feel that would defeat the purpose of having a custom build in the first place. Also, upgrade parts, and replacement parts for that matter, are few and far between for this version. So i guess what I'm asking is this: could I take a non V2 gearbox (such as a V1 or V6), add an M4 style hop up chamber and nozzle, and successfully mount them together in a custom body(perhaps fiberglass since I have lots of it around and know how to work with it)?

Also I'd appreciate any and all input into this, and like I said: at this point it is completely conceptual.

yetifas

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Custom AEG Bullpup Rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 08:34:15 PM »

Do a mock up and use fiberglass eventually on the final monocoque receiver. Am doing a project gun now based
on fiberglass, since this is not as expensive and intensive as carbon fiber and also used by the USMC on their
custom sniper rifle stocks.
JLS F2000, G&G L85, Best Gun MRP, Inokatsu AK74, STAR UMP45, ICS M4 and a few othe ARs withan ICS box and those are just the ones I remember....

shifty050

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 08:44:45 PM »

not as expensive and intensive as carbon fiber

Thats the truth lol. I made a stock for my bar 10 in the same way, using a mock up that eventually became the core of the stock (fiberglass around the foam). At this point though I'm not as concerned about the externals since I feel pretty confident in my fiberglass layup skills. Maybe I will do a carbon one in the future...

yetifas

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 04:22:34 AM »

2 years ago I experimented with fiberglass, that sample is still tough as can be up to now. Just discovered recently that there are fiber mat weave, which is way durable compared to that frayed fiber we see typically.
With proper application fiber glass is the way to go on bullpup receivers.
JLS F2000, G&G L85, Best Gun MRP, Inokatsu AK74, STAR UMP45, ICS M4 and a few othe ARs withan ICS box and those are just the ones I remember....

ridemtb47

• 1 Strike
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 11:53:48 AM »

Maybe I will do a carbon one in the future...

I certainly would try if I were you. You can do carbon fiber with an air curing resin much in the way fiberglass is done and it is much strong and lighter. Also, carbon fabric isn't as expensive as you might think. I've been working with it a lot through college and it is a very flexible and adaptable material. The only issue is to get a really nice piece you will have to have a vacum pump and vac bag materials which also cost a little more but you can deal without. We usually get our materials here (Cal Poly SLO) from this supplier;

http://www.solarcomposites.com/
"To be is to do"-Socrates
"To do is to be"-Sartre
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

shifty050

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 06:46:16 PM »

Also, carbon fabric isn't as expensive as you might think. I've been working with it a lot through college and it is a very flexible and adaptable material.

Yeah it is not that expensive, especially in the mounts I would need, but it is compared to fiberglass.  Sounds like you and I might have the same interests as far as majors go.

The only issue is to get a really nice piece you will have to have a vacum pump and vac bag materials which also cost a little more but you can deal without.

If you are talking about vacuum bagging, then yes it would certainly yield a higher quality piece, but for making a one off stock, I don't really see it being realistic. If you are wondering why I know a fair amount about this: I do a lot with sailboats and carbon fiber is THE thing in modern sailboats....but I digress.

If anyone has inputs on the internals listed in the OP, or how to mount them properly, please fill me in. And @ ridemtb47: thanks for the link, looks like a great resource!

motorhead

• Captain
  • Proudly voiding factory warranties since 2008
    • View Profile
    • Gearhead Airsoft Customs
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 03:53:22 AM »

(don't quote me on this) I think the JP V1 gearbox is V2/V3 compatible as far as the internals are concerned. The TM V1 doesn't like XYT's too much (that much I know). As for the hop up question, I didn't match up the V1 to my M4's hop up so I couldn't tell you a thing about that.

EDIT:
If I'm too late, I apologize for the necro.
DBoys M4 CASV: 340FPS/15RPS on 7.2 NICAD (measured using audacity)

JG/Cybergun SIG552: (confirmed) 20RPS on 8.4 1200mah china battery

CYMA M14 (M21 project)

yetifas

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 07:49:55 AM »

Would eventually do a fiberglass monocoque bullpup based on a fantasy or sci fi gun, no limits on the design and the best part is its unique since you designed it yourself.

ridemtb47

• 1 Strike
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 08:41:13 AM »

The only problem is it can be pretty hard to get the details of the gun right with a mold/
"To be is to do"-Socrates
"To do is to be"-Sartre
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

shifty050

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 02:09:35 PM »

The only problem is it can be pretty hard to get the details of the gun right with a mold/

That would be the difficult part. And thus my questions of how a gearbox and hop up are mounted within he gun.

Now that I think about it I would probably try and to a tar-21 since it uses stanags and a modified v6 gearbox (at least in he ARES version it does). Hopefully it uses an M4 style hop up since those are readily available. Does anyone know if a v2 nozzle would ne compatible with a v6 gb?

ablahblah

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 05:34:31 PM »

still somewhat of a newbie to airsoft generally, so I obviously won't say anything internal related, just pitching in a few aesthetically related features. With bullpups, I've always thought the weight balance and center of gravity resulting from the arrangement would help a lot with reloading efficiency. the only thing that annoys me about most bullpups is the fact that the mag release is always sitting next to the magazine, sort of kills the convenience. i mean, think about it, you think it would be more efficient to have to reach back and grab the magwell to pull out a mag, or just push a button and give the rifle a shake like a M4? (Conventional rifles, I wouldn't nag about this since your hand is already near the magwell anyways. Bullpups have more of a stretch though.) going with that, what do you think about fabricating a custom, long mag release that extends forward to the grip area, as opposed to putting a release button around the magwell? IMO, that'd be more efficient when reloading.

(before you say anything, yes, I can immediately tell that shaking a mag off a M4 is stupid in airsoft, you want the mag going in a dump pouch of course. In the instance of a bullpup rifle, however, it really seems practical to me since the mag is in the back of the rifle. Keep the dump pouch on the same side that the rifle is shouldered, and drop off the mag by just unshouldering the rifle, jutting it back a bit, and pressing a mag catch.)
"What, is that an 'effin P90 ya got there?"
"Why yes, yes it is. (pun intended)"
- ablah

shifty050

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 06:48:49 PM »

I think the idea of a forward mag release button is a pretty good idea...the only issue would be actually applying it and adapting it to a rifle. Although since it does not have to go around the GB it could be easier, food for thought.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 27 queries.