Airsoft General > Clothing/Gear

Vietnam MACV SOG Recon Team (RT) basic loadout

<< < (4/8) > >>

roy_vf1s:
Heh, Rottman apparently makes very little on each book if he's cranking that many out.

As far as the sandals go, thanks for the info on that one; looks like the one instance of an punji-stake through the foot (as mentioned in Papa Bravo Romeo) was enough to convince everyone not to do it.  Either that or it could be more speculation by non BUDS folks.

Something you may appreciate at that shop I mentioned a few posts back:  currently on his display set up are an in-country MACV SOG standard and a Montanyard crossbow.

RT-HABU:

--- Quote from: roy_vf1s on December 06, 2008, 07:01:59 AM ---Heh, Rottman apparently makes very little on each book if he's cranking that many out.

As far as the sandals go, thanks for the info on that one; looks like the one instance of an punji-stake through the foot (as mentioned in Papa Bravo Romeo) was enough to convince everyone not to do it.  Either that or it could be more speculation by non BUDS folks.

Something you may appreciate at that shop I mentioned a few posts back:  currently on his display set up are an in-country MACV SOG standard and a Montanyard crossbow.

--- End quote ---

I believe, from talking with the artist kevin lyles, that Rottman makes about 5,000 per book, which is about 4,500 too much considering the lack of effort, research, and any new information that goes into each new volume!! I believe Keven received about 2,000 for his painting in the last one Green Beret in Vietnam.

Yea most the time the Seals were dealing with some really think mud, paddy dikes, mango swamps and such and you really dont wanna be bare foot or even in sandal what with all the poisoness snake, bugs and creepy crawlies out there!!! There are some great pix of them wearing the Levi redline jeans, in which some have taken the large ERDL cargo pocket and attached them to their jeans, super cool stuff!!!

When you say standard, are you talking about a reg long bow?? sorry I know little to nothing of archery, but I do know of a famous SOG photo of a team returning in which one of the RT members is carrying a long bow, fiberglass with him. I think thats the only time Ive ever heard of RT using a bow, but then again theres still so much NOT written about SOG still, thats what makes it so interesting!!!

thanks for your input, always look forward to your replies :)

Getting back to the SOG load out heres some more intel....

RECON TIPS>>>>>

1.   Don’t cut off too much of the map showing your recon zone (RZ). Always designate at least 5-10 Kilometers (klicks) surrounding your RZ as running room.
2.   Base the number of canteens per map upon the weather and availability of water in the AO. Select water points when planning your route of march.
3.   Check all team members pockets prior to departing home base for passes, ID cards, lighters with insignia, rings with insignia, etc. personnel should only carry dog tags while on patrol.
4.   If the team uses a grenadier armed with a rifle grenade, have him place a crimped cartridge as the first round in each magazine carried. After firing the rifle grenade, he can use the rifle normally. When the magazine is empty and a new one inserted the grenadier can then quickly fire another grenade.
5.   Always carry maps and notebooks in water proof bags or containers.
6.   Use pencils to make notes during operations. Ink smears when it becomes wet, whereas lead does not.
7.   Inspect each team member’s uniform and equipment, especially radios and strobe lights, prior to departure on a mission.
8.   During the rainy system take extra cough medicine and codeine on patrol.
9.   The location and proper use of morphine should be known by all team members.
10.   All survival equipment should be tied or secured To THE UNIFORM to prevent loss if pockets become torn, etc.
11.   Each US or key team members should carry maps, notebooks, and SOI in the same pocket of each uniform, for hasty removal by other team members if one becomes a casualty.
12.   Each man on a team must constantly observe the man in front of him and the man behind him, in addition to watching for other team members’ hand and arm signals.
13.   During the dry season, do not urinate on rocks or leaves, but rather in a hole or small crevice. The wet spot may be seen, and the odor will carry further.
14.   When carrying the M-79on patrol, use a retainer band around the stock to hold the safety on safe while moving.
15.   Always carry one extra pair of socks, plus foot powder, on patrols, especially during the rainy season. In addition, each team member should carry a large sized pair of socks to place over his boots when walked or crossing a trail or stream.
16.   During rest halts do not take your pack off or leave your weapon alone. During long breaks, such as noon chow, do not take your pack off until your perimeter has been checked for at least 40 to 60 meters out for 360 degrees. During breaks throw nothing on the ground. Either put the trash in your pocket or spray it with CS powder and bury it.
17.   Desenex or Vaseline rubbed on the feet during the rainy season or in wet weather will aid in the prevention of immersion foot. It will also help avoid chapping if put on the hands.
18.   Gloves will protect hands from thorns and aid in holding weapon when it heats up from firing, or from sweat and or blood.
19.   The radio man should place a clear plastic bag on the AN/PRC-25 or 77 to keep it dry in the rainy season.
20.   If radio batteries go dead or weak do not throw them away while on patrol. Small batteries can be recharged by placing them in the armpits or between the legs of the body. A larger battery can gain added life by sleeping with the battery next to the body. Additional life can also be gained by placing batteries in the sun.
21.   If possible always carry an extra hand set for the AN/PRC-25 and 77 and ensure that it is wrapped in a waterproof container or bag.
22.   Always carry a spare AN/PRC 25/77 battery  but do not remove the spare from its plastic container prior to use or it may lose power.
23.   Do not send ‘same’ or no change’ when reporting teams location. Always send your coordinates. Keep radio traffic at a minimum.
24.   Avoid over confidence, it leads to carelessness! Just because you have seen No sign of the enemy for 3 or 4 days does not mean that the enemy isn’t there or hasn’t seen you!
25.   A large percentage of patrols have been compromised because of poor noise discipline.
26.   Correct ALL team and or individual errors as they occur or happen.
27.   NEVER cook, build heating fires or smoke cigarettes while on patrols.
28.   No more than two persons should eat chow at any one time. The rest of the team should be on security!

all my best

paul   

the roob:

--- Quote from: RT-HABU on December 05, 2008, 08:39:35 PM ---hey there

Although I can agree with 95% of what your saying, I have to disagree (respectfully, of course :)) on any gear produced after say 1973, although there are some great shots of Fleet Marines at the Embassy in 1975 during the evac, wearing ALICE pouches, I believe that ALICE never made it to front line troops fighting in Vietnam, but I do understand what your saying about the WWII era gear, but I reserve that stuff for early MAAG MACV and Special forces advisors and the likes :).

As for the series, OSPREY, I find them to be very "Generic" when it come to information, and although I do have a few and still enjoy the Special forces one from Gordon rottman in 1984, and the paintings by Ron Volstad are awsome, I find them to be slightly better than Cliff Notes, at best!! I found that Shelby stanton and kevin Lyles books are far better researched than Rottmans, and it seems that mr. rottman just puts out books to put out books!! No new information, the same tired old photos rehassed over and over again, Im constantly finding mistakes on items as well as untruths, and he writes in generalizations!! Overall, I give them a C-, but thats just me and my opinion. I think there are far better books out there for the collector reenactor than the Osprey series if people are just willing to spend a few bucks on a book :) Since your In Texas, you must know about Moore Militaria? He's the BEST!!!! little pricey but an Honest guy!!!!!
thanks, I'll get off my soap box now.
paul

--- End quote ---
I agree 100%. those osprey books are really made so that miniature model painters can get the uniforms patterns and colors right, there are much better sources of info for the collector, re-enactor out there.

Edit: I will also back up the showershoes, sandals, converse, wetsuit booties, coral booties and I saw a photo of an experimental pair of jungle boots with a human foot print in the tread instead of lugs.   I think I may have seen that written in an Osprey book actually, but whereever I saw it, they had a picture of the foot boots and coral booties.

RT-HABU:

--- Quote from: the roob on December 06, 2008, 05:16:25 PM --- I agree 100%. those osprey books are really made so that miniature model painters can get the uniforms patterns and colors right, there are much better sources of info for the collector, re-enactor out there.

Edit: I will also back up the showershoes, sandals, converse, wetsuit booties, coral booties and I saw a photo of an experimental pair of jungle boots with a human foot print in the tread instead of lugs.   I think I may have seen that written in an Osprey book actually, but whereever I saw it, they had a picture of the foot boots and coral booties.

--- End quote ---

Thank you sir!!!! :)
Those books are just enough to tease you to want more!!
Paul

the roob:
that and the illustrations are awesome for the imagination.

EDIT:

After Re re re re reviewing your kitlists above, I noticed you mentioned cravats/drive on rags and having two of them.

does this mean one around you head and one around your neck is not do-rag overkill?  also, can you explain the part in there I read about using the drive-on rag as a belt. Is this superior to conventional belt in some way or is this just a way to better store the rag on your person instead of filling up a pocket with it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version