Home Forums Reviews Classifieds Gallery Chat Calendar Store Map Player Map Links
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Well MB06/ CYMA 187A/ Echo 1 ASR Rifle Review  (Read 10085 times)

Grady the Scot

• 2 Strikes
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
Well MB06/ CYMA 187A/ Echo 1 ASR Rifle Review
« on: January 17, 2010, 05:26:50 PM »

Hi everyone.  Just to start off I would like to say that I love ugly guns.  I seem to have an affinity to guns that are mismatched and have appendages seemingly stuck on.  I have read lots of first impressions of the Maruzen APS SR-2, and they all seem to be divided.  I am one of the few that seem to think this gun looks awesome and that is just opinion.  Throughout the review I will probably talk about this gun better than others will because I love the idea of it.  You are welcome to you opinions and some will not agree with me and that is fine.  Now that we have gotten that out of the way.

Table of contents

First Impressions
Real Steel History
Appearance/Feel/Build Quality
Internals
Performance/Modifications/Accessories
Pros & Cons
Ordering
The Final Word

Well has come out with another quality clone spring rifle.  The MB06 is the clone of Maruzens APS SR-2L sniper/target rifle.  The original APS (Air Precision System) SR-2 was made by Maruzen with a plastic/nylon/fiberglass looking body.  It was meant for short range target shooting evidently because the fps was rather low (280 ish), and it came without a hop up.  The newer APS SR-2L however did come with a hop up but still very discouragingly low fps. I loved the look of this rifle and was very bummed when I saw the fps, hop up, and price.  I was also discouraged because with so little interest on the forums I was sure that there would be no clones made.  I was shopping around this fall and low and behold Well decides to make a clone of this gun.  I was ecstatic and bought it after Christmas.  

First Impressions

I received the box from UPS yesterday and ripped it open with great enthusiasm. The box which you really shouldn’t care about at all was brown cardboard with a brown label showing a picture of the rifle.  The cardboard doesn’t surround the foam inside it only caps it. In the box was the Well MB06, magazine, cleaning rod, bb loader, and manual.  This is all very self explanatory and if you have mad it this far then I congratulate you.  

The gun has a good heft to it and I was surprised to find that there were no creaks or wobbles in this gun (with the exception of the m4 style stock).  The plastic, which from the pictures seemed to be very cheap and shiny, ended up being matt and durable.  The finish is closer to that of the Maruzen than I would have thought.  The bolt pull was very very smooth and the gun is quite quiet (did you do a double take). All in all it was a very good first impression.

Real Steel History

I don’t really know why I put this section in here.  This gun is made for airsoft. There is no real steel rifle like it, to my knowledge.

Appearance/Feel/Build Quality

The appearance is very nice if I might say so myself.  The gun is about the same size as a bar 10 rifle however it is a bit thinner in most directions. The gun feels awesome! [Disclaimer]- I love rifle stocks.  I wish there were more guns with rifle stocks.  That was the only thing that I thought I was going to dislike about this gun.-[End Disclaimer]  The gun feels very solid to hold. The one exception is the m4 style stock.  I will get into this more in the modifications part. The externals of this gun are quite rugged and to me feel better built than the bar 10 (which I have owned).  The pistol grip is smaller than an aeg pistol grip which made me feel really happy (small hands).  It is solidly attached to the gun and it is an easy transition from an M4.

Internals

I have taken the gun down partially and will break it down even further later.  The internals of the gun are astounding.  I thought that the bar 10 was the standard for quality internals on a budget rifle, but was I wrong.

The cylinder is very shiny smooth metal and seems to have a very good finish on its interior.  Once I opened the cylinder, I was again surprised at the nicely made piston, spring, and spring guide.  After doing some research I found that the internals are all L96 internals and can be upgraded as such. The trigger mech is made from plastic. WAIT! The plastic is reinforced and very high quality. I would rather have this mech on my bar 10 than the pot metal one that comes with it.  It is very securely connected to the bolt block and there is no wiggle whatsoever. The bolt block is seems to be high quality metal and is designed exactly like the L96.  It is thick and strong.  This is very nice.

The barrel is nicely finished and seems to be of high quality brass. According to the calipers I used the barrel was somewhere around a 6.06.  That seemed to be the average ID.

The hop up is an l96 hop up.  This means that it is adjustable with an allen wrench on the bottom of the gun near the magwell.  The hop up system made me happy also.  I have had so much trouble with the right spin on the bar-10 hop up that a screw adjust hop up (like noobies) was a breath of fresh air.  It is also made of very high quality metal and it has a very nice hop up arm.  The bucking which comes with it is incompatible with anything that I have seen, ever.  There is however replacement hop up units which make it possible to use an aeg bucking and barrel.

The FPS I tested with .30 gram KSC Perfect BBs.

I found the FPS using a .3 to be somewhere around 375.  It varied some because I had just cleaned the gun and the excess silicone oil was giving a great seal that lessened with each shot until I got into the 370s.

Performance/Modifications/Accessories

If you have read up until now you will know that I like this gun a lot.  The performance of this gun varies greatly so far. This is due to a few factors.
1 the hop up needs some work (explanation later)
2 There are no barrel spacers (modification)
3 the stock is wobbly (modification)
4 I used it in the rain in 30-40 degree weather

Modifications
All that and I still got several kills with it. It is very silent.  I was shooting at people 70ish feet away who couldn’t hear me at all.  My teammates who were standing not 10 feet from me couldn’t hear it.  The hop up is the blessing and curse for this rifle.  The screw which adjusts it backs out after a magazine or less.  The hop up seems to be fine for about 6-9 shots before it starts to droop.  This is fairly easily solved with a little bit of thin Teflon tape on the treads of the adjustment screw.  The second part of the hop up that needs modification is the barrel hop up connection.  The problem is that there isn’t a very good connection between the barrel and the hop up unit.  The hop up bucking has no flange on it like the bar 10 which keeps it from twisting. This means that you can’t quite keep you barrel/bucking lined up straight up and down.  You can but after a few shots the barrel will rotate around and you will be stuck shooting up and right instead of just up.  This is again easily solved with some Teflon tape.  The tape will put friction between the barrel/hop up bucking and the hop up itself keeping the barrel straight up and down.
The next problem to be solved is the lack of barrel spacers.  The barrel is a bull barrel, which means it is the same diameter all the way down.  This makes it easy to make some barrel spacers.  I had nothing on me except various kinds of tape so I made barrel spacers out of duct tape.  I don’t like messing up a brand new barrel so for the first few wraps of duct tape I did it sticky side up to make sure the spacers wouldn’t stick to my barrel.  The next problem and the last is the m4 stock.  The stock doesn’t fit very snuggly on the stock tube which makes it wobbly.  This is very bad for a sniper who needs a good shot so I turn to my good of faithful trusty friend duct tape.  I put some small strips of duct tape on the stock tube and voile the stock doesn’t jiggle.  I also modified the tube itself for a different reason.  I like my rifles to be a little back heavy so I can move the barrel around easier so I opened the tube and threw in a junk of pig iron from a friends cheap shotgun (along with some paper towels to keep it nice and snug).  It made the gun weigh a little more but balanced out that front heavy end.  It didn’t make it back heavy like I hoped but it is better.

Since doing the initial review I have made some modifications.  
1. Replaced the M4 stock with a Magpul MOE Stock
2. Replaced the stock hop up with a PDI hop up unit
3. Replaced hop up bucking and barrel with firefly bucking and stock Classic Army barrel.
4. Replaced end cap with mock mock mock silencer adapter
5. "Lathed" cylinder head (thanks to Booligan)

I put on the rail a Leapers 4X32 Mil-Dot Mini Airsoft Rifle Scope from Airsplat and couldn’t be happier.  The scope has very nice crosshairs with Mil-Dots.  It is small and perfect for airsoft sniping.  I have never felt that airsoft snipers needed more than a 3-4x zoom just based on the 300 foot “limit” on airsoft guns.  This scope worked great for dense woods and is even good for low light situations.  I took it out the night I got it and could see my targets in the almost dark of streetlights.

Pros/Cons

Cons
The stock is a bit wobbly and won’t fit JG M4 stocks without modification
There are no barrel spacers
The hop up needs some work to be playable
A little front heavy
Pros
Very high quality build
The hop up is screw adjustable (no more right spin)
Light weight
Adjustable stock
Good fps for a stock rifle
Upgradeable with Maruzen APS parts
Easily fixable problems
Very durable and skirmishable
Just darn cool looking.

Ordering

This rifle is the Well MB06 and can be found at a lot of American airsoft retailers.  Two that I use often are Airsoft GI ($130) and Airsplat ($80 and rising).  It is also the basis for Echo 1's new sniper rifle build.

Final Word
This is a great rifle for those of us in airsoft that don’t want a bar-10 or l96.  It has an amazing build quality for the price and is worthy of a match up with anything I can throw at it.  I would highly recommend this gun to all airsofters who wish to begin sniping or want a change or want a really well built upgrader.  I hope that helped those of you who are on the fringes.  

Dissasembly

You can see the three screws needed to disassemble the body in this picture.  Two behind the mag well and one that is integral with the bi pod adapter

The two screws removed from behind the mag well.  The forward screw is nicely held in the bipod adapter and will not come out.

The forward grip can now be removed from the barrel and body

The barrel has no screw holding it in the body and it will slide right out.  (NOTE: when putting it back together there is a notch in the bolt receiver that lines up the barrel.  Be sure to get it seated correctly.)

From there the barrel can be removed by taking out the one small screw holding in the hop up unit.

Now that you have the barrel out you can look to the body.

The receiver has no screws holding it into the body and should slide out.

When out of the pistol grip/stock portion of the body you can now get at the cylinder and trigger mech.

The trigger mech has two screws a nuts which hold it in.

Once those are removed it slides right out.

The interior of the trigger mech is full of explosively compressed springs.  PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT APART UNLESS YOU HAVE TOO.  I've worked on lots and lots of guns in my airsoft experience, but even with all the experiences of holding down springs with your toes and prayers and screw drivers while trying to get mechboxes back together still didn't help me get this thing back together.  I worked on it for 2-3 hours trying to get it back to the way it was originally.  It was a good thing I took it apart in the last section of the photo shoot.

The stock is very simple.  If you have messed with an M4 stock you will recognize it right off.  But if you haven't

Unfortunately the buffer tube will not take a sling mount without a little modification.

That's all for now.  I've got a few more pictures, but I'll post them when the topic gets moved.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 08:56:21 PM by Grady the Scot »

Grady the Scot

• 2 Strikes
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: Well MB06 Rifle Review
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 12:45:57 PM »

Will be finishing up this review hopefully next week.  Architecture school will be letting up after finals and I can finally get some pictures up.
If you were paying attention you would see that Echo 1's new sniper rifle is based off of this rifle.  They have MAGS!  Finally some extra magazines!!

Snipez

• Ad Subscriber
  • Captain
  • Stop looking at my profile, you creep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 03:39:07 PM »

They have MAGS!  Finally some extra magazines!!

You do realize that it uses the same mags as the L96, so you could have had extra mags a long time ago.

Grady the Scot

• 2 Strikes
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 06:56:28 PM »

Unfortunately the mags are the same dimension in practically every way, except the MB06 mags have catches on the side which are unique to its design.  Believe me I've tried 3 different kinds of L96 mags in it.  If I could have bought extras I would have.

SVT Cobra

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 09:51:59 PM »

We need pictures!  ;D

I am thinking about getting this rifle for my GF who is vertically challenged. JK she is a tad bit short, 5'2'', the collapsible stock would be a great fit for her since all M700's and L96s are to large for her arms lol.

Hopefully the internals are workable enough to get great performance from DIY mods. I need something cheap  :-\
The trigger mech is 90 degrees right?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 09:55:11 PM by SVT Cobra »

Grady the Scot

• 2 Strikes
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 12:44:01 AM »

Yep the trigger is a 90 degree.  NO MORE SLAM FIRING!!!  I'll try to get pictures up this week.  The architectural reviews are over and I have nothing to do.

Yeah out of any that I have held or seen this has the best stock and grip for short people.

SVT Cobra

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 08:48:08 PM »

Yep the trigger is a 90 degree.  NO MORE SLAM FIRING!!!  I'll try to get pictures up this week.  The architectural reviews are over and I have nothing to do.

Yeah out of any that I have held or seen this has the best stock and grip for short people.
Awesome, good to hear this stuff! As soon as you you are ready for peer review, I will give your writing a good sweep and help you out the best I can!

Booligan

• Hardcore
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 08:52:16 PM »

Unfortunately, this review won't be able to be published at the present time, as the writer has two strikes on his account. Our review standards and rules require review writers to maintain an account in good standing, including having one or less strikes on their account.

There are a few options though. I can lock it up in here, or I can move it to the spring or sniper's perch section, where it can keep being improved and discussed. Grady, just post what you want me to do with this, and I'll get it done.

Grady the Scot

• 2 Strikes
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 11:49:20 PM »

Thanks Booligan for not deleting it yet.  I did message an admin, XavierMace I think, about strike removal, but until something like that happens again I'm fine with the review going to the Snipers Perch.

Booligan

• Hardcore
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 09:17:25 AM »

Okay, I'll move it over there. If/when there's another "strike removal" event, and if you have a strike removed, PM me, and I'll move it back over here for peer review.

One interesting thing that I'm seeing from your pics, compared to the E1 ASR is that the ASR already has a huge weight in the buffer tube. I should have mine opened up soon, so we'll be able to see what other differences there are.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 09:20:37 AM by Booligan »

lulukchoo23

• Major
  • Ei liek tu sheut poepl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 12:51:19 PM »

Schweet. I have already read this review before. I know that Snow Wolf m99 mags are compatible w/ the APS2/sr2.

So is this Well any different than the CYMA clone? The cyma is on airsplat. Im on my smart phone so I cant provide a link.

Grady the Scot

• 2 Strikes
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 01:36:44 PM »

As far as I can tell it seems to be the same rifle.  I'm not sure how or why yet.  I'm not sure if Echo 1 has a contract with WELL.  If they don't and wanted this rifle for their ASR build they may have gotten CYMA to build it for them.  This may affect quality control, but again I'm not sure at all.  The only thing that I will expect to change between the two is the quality of the manufacturing. 

redmoon3580

• Captain
  • GBB/Bolty/AEG tech
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 04:08:17 PM »

Any chance we'll get pics of it with the new stock?
My Armory:
PR15/VSR10 570fps / Revolving Rifle 500fps / Killbucket Browning M1919 450fps 25rps / CA G3 360fps 18rps / Army Detonics 300fps / MarineSGT's Sniper Pistol 500fps
http://brevardairsoft.webs.com/public/index.htm

Booligan

• Hardcore
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 04:14:38 PM »

He has the CTR stock installed in the first pic. I think I'm going to try and install a PRS stock on there, I think that would look interesting. I have a CTR stock installed on my E1 right now, and it looks pretty good, but it seems that everyone is throwing CTR stocks on them, lol.

Grady the Scot

• 2 Strikes
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 04:42:37 PM »

Yeah the CTR stock is better for me for monetary reasons.  Still a nice stock but a PRS would be ideal.  I love the look of the PRS and it is especially helpful for a buffer tubed sniper's rifle.

Lon3Wo1f

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 05:24:47 PM »

I was wondering, does the L96 upgrade set from UTG fit in this?

I was thinking about getting one of these: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=31_201&products_id=6318
because in my book, when all the parts come from China anyways, Metal>Plastic.

From what I can tell, the pics match, but need to know a confirmed answer.

Thanks!

lulukchoo23

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 06:02:40 PM »

Yes the APS2 and APS96's cylinder INTERNALS are cross compatible, but the actual CYLINDER is not. Cylinders are different thickness but same inner diameter. The L96 upgrade kit will indeed fit.

NeoCerberus

• Corporal
  • I'll eat you... you greedy swine...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 10:05:14 PM »

Gotta love that AIRSOET GUN...  :o

SVT Cobra

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 11:06:13 PM »

Very good work so far! Exactly what I was looking for; so I gotta thank you for this review!

Hey see if you can get your strike removed at the redemption thread, cause this review should get published!

northendtrooper

• 1 Strike
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 10:45:27 AM »

That trigger assembly is a complete cluster F***. Good god man. I can't tell but is that safety switch like the VSR where you can't pull the trigger at all, or does it actually have where you pull the trigger nothing happens like a KJW/Tanaka M700?

redmoon3580

• Captain
  • GBB/Bolty/AEG tech
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 10:56:32 AM »

How hot of a spring do you think the trigger will take and not break with around 5-7k shots?
I'm considering making my brother a sniper rifle to use out of one of these.

Also, will it take the aps2 aftermarket triggers?
My Armory:
PR15/VSR10 570fps / Revolving Rifle 500fps / Killbucket Browning M1919 450fps 25rps / CA G3 360fps 18rps / Army Detonics 300fps / MarineSGT's Sniper Pistol 500fps
http://brevardairsoft.webs.com/public/index.htm

lulukchoo23

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 03:29:05 PM »

Not exactly sure about the spring. I would guess if you were shooting a spring rated around 450 fps it wouldn't be a problem breaking, because L96 stock trigger can take a 500 fps spring just fine.

Yeah, APS2 trig mechs will work in this gun, but APS96 trigs will NOT work.

Hmm there's also this one hop up chamber by Classic Army for the APS2 at airsoftextreme.com. Can't provide a link cause I'm on my smart phone, but I really wonder how good that chamber is. It looks pretty cool. I wonder if it works in the L96

Grady the Scot

• 2 Strikes
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 03:56:08 PM »

Very good work so far! Exactly what I was looking for; so I gotta thank you for this review!

Hey see if you can get your strike removed at the redemption thread, cause this review should get published!

Thanks, if there is anything else that needs to be covered either in pictures or text let me know.  I messaged Atilla about when there might be another strike removal thread.  We shall see about that.

That trigger assembly is a complete cluster F***. Good god man. I can't tell but is that safety switch like the VSR where you can't pull the trigger at all, or does it actually have where you pull the trigger nothing happens like a KJW/Tanaka M700?

The trigger is a complete pain in the rear.  To answer your question.  The saftey engages the same lock that is used to make sure the cylinder is seated properly. When the cylinder is extended out (not locked back in place) or when the safety is on the trigger can not be pulled back.  Unfortunately the trigger pull (I'm guessing because of the 90 degree piston/sear) is fairly stiff.  So you've got to watch out that you don't mistake a hard trigger pull for the safety being on.

How hot of a spring do you think the trigger will take and not break with around 5-7k shots?
I'm considering making my brother a sniper rifle to use out of one of these.

Also, will it take the aps2 aftermarket triggers?

Yes it will take aftermarket triggers like lulukchoo23 said, but only for the APS2. The trigger mech should take a 500 fps spring. I'm not sure if I would go above that without replacing/modifying the trigger mech.

Hmm there's also this one hop up chamber by Classic Army for the APS2 at airsoftextreme.com. Can't provide a link cause I'm on my smart phone, but I really wonder how good that chamber is. It looks pretty cool. I wonder if it works in the L96

Here is the link
http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=443_460&products_id=1324
Yes the hop up unit will work in the L96 because the hop up units are identical between the MB06 and the L96.

One thing I forgot to mention was the mock silencer adapter.  I have a Laylax APS2 mock silencer attachment system for the from end which allows me to use the AMP pistol mock silencer.  DO NOT GET THIS PRODUCT.  The Laylax APS2 mock silencer attachment system will NOT FIT!.  If you look closely you will see where I had to epoxy it on the the end of the barrel

http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/product_p/25902.htm

STAY AWAY WILL NOT FIT!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 04:09:03 PM by Grady the Scot »

Booligan

• Hardcore
  • Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2010, 06:32:38 PM »

Well, got my first skirmish in with my Echo 1 ASR stock, got a few kills, and set on upgrading it with the E1 upgrade kit and a Madbull APS2 inner barrel. Oddly enough, there are some differences between the CYMA version and the Echo 1, including how the stock is attached (the direction of the bolt is the other way), the color of some hardware, etc. The E1 does have foam barrel spacers as well.

BTW, the stock inner barrel is 454mm long, while the inner barrel I got from Madbull was about 500mm, so it stuck out the muzzle a little bit. A quick PVC muzzle brake fixed that:

Grady the Scot

• 2 Strikes
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2010, 08:54:16 PM »

Yeah I had the same problem with my barrel.  To get this thing upgraded you really need to get an aftermarket hop up system which uses an aeg barrel (because the stock one is just wierd).  The problem is that there are no aeg barrels around 450-460 which is around what I measured my barrel at as well.  SO I had to get a 500 which stuck out of the gun ever so slightly and therefore the mock silencer. 

I think I'll change the name of the post from just WELL MB06 and add on the CYMA and E1 so we can get all the different variants in here.  If there is a problem with that let me know.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 26 queries.